Learn About Each Room:
The office is for work inside and outside the home. It’s where you think about your career and professional life, your personal ambition and your work-life balance. This is also where you grapple with all nature of money issues: spending, saving and making it. Financial security or lack of it. Plus you’ve got all those bills to pay!
Here are a few of the shared stories in the book and you’ll find strategies for working on them there too.
- I miss my family back home, but I want a career so I stay here.
- I get too comfy with coworkers. It’s like I’m wearing slippers at the office.
- I have no passion. I wish I could find something meaningful to do.
- I hate criticism. I can’t stand it when I get a negative review at work.
- Maybe I shouldn’t have quit when I got pregnant. But that was the plan.
- I make my own money. I can do what I want with it.
- I can’t seem to enjoy my success. I know I should feel thrilled.
- I was working too hard at a job I hated. No one could believe it when I quit.
Now we’d love to hear some of your own ”office” stories. Think of them as seeds (of discontent) that make you want to change something going on in your life. The first step to any meaningful shift is to recognize what is wrong, or what is bringing you down (the seed) and then trying out a new approach or strategy (we call it a key process). You can share in the Key Processes section and let others know how it went. If it was a winner or you “cleaned up” the mess, you will have a takeaway idea (a pearl) and we encourage you to post your pearl for others to see.
Learn About Other Rooms
The Attic, the Office, the Bathroom, the Kid's Room, the Bedroom, the Family Room, the Kitchen, the Living Room, the Basement, the Tenth Room, and the Epilogue all have learning pages. Feel free to catch up and brush off your rooms before you begin the discussion.